Tuesday, June 23, 2015

From the Desk of John Rourke – June 24th, 2015

This past weekend “The Group” went camping. The Group is the MAG survival group I belong to. Great group of guys and truly feel that we are turning into a Band of Brothers that can be there for each other whenever needed. Camping was good although the heat was. Some of us brought our kids and I brought Christopher – my 12 year old. Did a little fishing and canoeing.

20150620_142538

Saturday night supper consisted of a couple of MRE’s from MealKitSupply.com. I ate Chili with Beans and Christopher had Ravioli’s. Taste? Fantastic! The built-in heaters in each MRE worked extremely well heating the food packets so hot I could not hold on to them. I was very pleased that Christopher liked the MRE he picked out. He thought they were so “cool”.

20150620_185151

Sleeping arrangements were courtesy of a couple of hammocks. My Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro worked extremely well and two of my fellow members showed me some tricks to setting it up. The Yukon Outfitters rainfly worked well. A small rain storm came through and the rainfly kept my hammock dry.

The high temps kept me up quite late. I didn’t fall asleep until close to 3:00am and woke up at 6:30.

20150620_192527

Christopher was to sleep in the orange parachute hammock seen below however I think he got worried about Bigfoot or a mountain lion coming out to get him. Kinda funny – I brought along a pair of night vision binoculars that I bought a few years ago. These things were sold as toys however they actually work pretty well. Christopher was watching the wood line through them and saw things moving around and his mind started playing tricks on him.

The news story about a black bear being seen nearby probably didn’t help. He slept in the Jeep.

20150620_124230

 

It was great being out in nature – even just for a night. Helps put things in perspective and spending time with The Group was good too.

Rourke

 

 



via ModernSurvivalOnline.com http://ift.tt/1JhGIiv

No comments:

Post a Comment