Monday, August 31, 2015

Mylar packing food for long term storage

Rourke: This post was originally published here on ModernSurvivalOnline.com. It is just as relevant today.

 

Storing food continues to be my main priority in gathering survival supplies. Canned goods are the mainstay of much of my stockpile along with some freeze-dried. Over the past few months I have added some additional food via storing them in mylar bags.

Mylar packaging has been around for many years. Used for many different products – mylar has a unique ability to present an oxygen barrier and protect food for extended storage.

So – how do I store food in mylar bags? Typically for preparedness-related food storage – food is placed into the mylar bag, an oxygen absorber is placed in the bag, and then the bag is sealed(using heat). The oxygen absorber will eliminate almost all the oxygen in the bag – thus providing a very long shelf life.

Mylar bags, food, iron, and oxygen absorbers

In the picture above I have my supplies laid out – mylar bags, oxygen absorbers, some spaghetti, and my iron.

 

Rice is a good candidate for mylar packing

I also had some rice as well to store away.

Simple – fill and add the oxygen absorber

Here I have placed some rice in the mylar and added the oxygen absorber. Next the top of the bag needs to be sealed up.

Note: Yes – a lot more rice can go in this bag.

Using an iron to seal the bag.

Part of the “trick” to sealing the bag is to place it on something – and then run the hot iron over the mylar sealing it. As much as possible should be removed from the bag prior to sealing.  I generally form a 1-2 inch sealed edge along the top. Once sealed – it is good to try to squeeze the bag to make sure there are no leaks.

Bag is sealed.

There are any different sized bags available. I prefer the gallon size.

Here is some spaghetti ready to be stored away.

Above is one of my completed bags. Mark all bags with the date of packaging, contents, and approx amount.

Filling it up – ready when I need it.

Once I have several bags done – I place them in a plastic 5 gallon bucket and place the lid on it. I then mark on the outside the date of packaging and I list the contents as well. Of note I never pack a bucket with all one ingredient. I always mix up the contents – beans, pasta, rice, sugar, salt, etc. Why? In-case I have to pack buckets in a vehicle to “head for the hills” – I want to know that however many buckets I get I will have a variety of food items in each one.

Overall – this method is very expensive. I have some Amazon links embedded in this post showing some of the supplies I have purchased and used myself. Also – there are some good videos on YouTube demonstrating this process.

When stored under the right conditions certain foods can last a very long time.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Rourke

 



via ModernSurvivalOnline.com http://ift.tt/1Jy4TXp

No comments:

Post a Comment