Sunday, October 6, 2013

Lucid Dreaming | Wasted Opportunity

Saturday is the only day I have that I can sleep late enough to WILD or MILD or FOLD or MOLD or whatever it's called when you fall asleep and carry your waking consciousness seamlessly into a dream with you (seriously, you guys use way too many acronyms on this board).



Well, Friday night, I drank more than I tend to due to the company of friends, and I polished it all off with an Ambien. I woke up at 6:00 a.m. with all the lights on and had to get up to turn them off (the sun doesn't come up down here until nearly 7:30). I don't even remember going to bed, but that's Ambien for you...



Anyway, I woke up at 11:00 a.m. feeling a little irritated that it had gotten so late, and I still hadn't had any quality REM sleep. I lay back down to see if I could doze off again and drift into a dream. I woke up later, still not able to recall any dreams, and I looked at the clock. 3:00 p.m.! How could I have slept so late? I lay back down thinking to myself, "You've got to be kidding me that I slept this late." I still felt a little tired and figured, "Screw it, I guess I'll just sleep the whole day away." I dozed off again and woke up later to notice that the sun hadn't really moved. I checked the clock again, and it was back to 11:00 a.m.!



So this is what people mean with false awakenings. Since the clock was now back to 11:00, I decided to let myself drift back to sleep. I did start to flow into a dream - something to do with a fancy dinner in which I was seated on stage - but I kept having to remind myself that I was dreaming. Each time I did, I ended up waking up again and ruining the dream. Finally, on one of these occasions where my sudden lucidity caused me to wake up, I decided to test a theory. I stood up in bed like a vampire without moving my arms or legs. Since that's impossible to do, and yet I had somehow succeeded in doing it, I knew that I had been falsely awakening again! I let the covers fall away and then tried to fly out the bedroom door, through the living room, and then out through the roof, but I went too fast and lost the dream. Then I was awake for real, and now it really was 3:00 p.m.



I felt like a time traveler today.





via Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views - Attaining Lucidity http://www.dreamviews.com/showthread.php?t=147116&goto=newpost

No comments:

Post a Comment